Thursday 3 July 2014

To Be Continued...


 
 
I started on a piece today about how rude I felt every person I met today had been and then decided that was just not the direction for today’s writing. So I tossed it into the lucky file number thirteen and changed direction.

I wanted instead to encourage and positively reinforce the human race. I hope I can do that. Nope not today. I then thought I might try my skills at writing my novel; that came out as another nope. So what can I write about? It is not as if I have writers block for here I sit typing away editing as I go. But still no exciting topic to titillate my readers.

The silence of my home even with my children off school is almost eerie. I know they are glued to some pre-teen show that the eldest has controlled to watch. And now I wonder about dinner and my thoughts change I am not hungry. I had to throw out food from the weekend. I hate to waste anything but food is a big pet peeve. After all I grew up knowing that there were many starving children in the world who would be happy for that scrap. Yeah okay Mom and Dad, do those children know that it is rotten or on its way to be rotten and will make them ill? Or do they know that I have had the flu for five days and I am still highly infectious??? Ha…that one would get them every time. They would concede and that small scrap would hit the garbage like a basketball being sunk by a pro!!!

Now that I am a parent I know where mine were coming from with the finish your meal business. We pay for that food and wasting is not allowed. I started with smaller portions to try and alleviate that non-sense in our home, but yet here I sit today at my computer telling you I have just wasted food. I dumped what was worth of about five sandwiches into the garbage and let me tell you there was no basketball star involved. It plunked its way into the can and laid there as if it was mocking me for its last moment before I closed the lid. Yeah…okay…

So with the children off school and the holiday weekend behind us we are beginning the summer with a quiet day. We went shopping and yes were the rudeness was abundant, but I do not want to discuss that. I have on my mind that ever popular question “What to do with them for the rest of the summer?” We are not camp people, although I went for several years and had some great experiences I just do not see the benefit of paying over one thousand dollars for a week in the company of strangers. Not that camps do not have merit. The activities and experiences can be outstanding for children and for young adults as counsellors. I have some fond memories of camp and maybe some not so fond but all-in-all good. So back to my question, what do I do with them?

Well we have already talked about the usual trip into the city to go to places like the Planetarium, Museum, Science Centre etc. But I am yet to come up with that all mind blowing remember it always event. We will need to return to that at a later date. Watch it be a very low key event that takes the number one spot!!!

Well “What’s for dinner?” I better go and coordinate that before the silence is broken by the ever popular “I’m hungry” whine.

To be continued…  

 
1.
Pin It