Tuesday 28 July 2015

Summer Heat Wave vs. Winter Cold Blast


 
I have come the conclusion that the heat, although welcome, is actually worse than the cold for the human personality. With no escape from it’s powerful grip we bear what we can. At least in the winter we can put on a sweater!!!

It has been almost a week that our great province has been under a heat advisory and the temperatures have climbed steadily into the thirties. It is without relief that many of us sit like panting dogs suffering and wishing for January???? Well… maybe not January but certainly the cooler weeks of September would be a welcome treat right now.
 
I must be clear that after the winter we had I will not complain about the heat. My thought is though that we cannot escape the heat the way we can escape the cold. Let’s face it in the months we refer to as winter, being December through mid-March or so we can dress for the weather and participate in activities indoors and outdoors. We can enjoy the days that are short by making a special effort to be with family and friends and plan activities that engage us through the cool and cold months. Even the spring rains are fun to play in. But when it come to a heat wave…..what is one to do?



Trapped inside where the cold air blows, most of us give into the AC quickly. I am one of those people who cannot stand the heat and gives in as soon as the temperatures are above twenty-two. I mean really why should we suffer? I have often been accused of being a creature of comfort and I suppose to some degree I am just that. But does that make me mad? No just the opposite, I enjoy the finer things in life and AC is one on the top of my list.

So to compare the summer’s heat and the winter’s cold and the effect on personality is actually quite fair. I have been yelled at, although why someone would spend that energy in this weather to me is torture to one’s self, bumped into, disregarded, cut off in my vehicle, grumbled at and have seen the general disregard for humanity that comes along with the long cold and deep winter months. I thought that summer was the season of joy for us Canadians, maybe I stand corrected and that is not the case but when I see what the heat does to us and in a shorter period of time I question how we managed in the past to survive without eliminating ourselves through one barbaric way or another.

So what to do about the heat??? We, as I have said earlier in this article, in winter we can put on a sweater. “So” you say, “but what do we do when we are already down to our skivvies and there is nothing left to remove?” Good question and one I wished I had the answer for, but I do not. I have seen many crazy ways to cool down and I am sure social media and the video sites are full of crazy ways to build that homemade AC unit (do not do that at home). Try a local pool or the lake if you are near one. Seek out a cooling centre. Visit friends or family with a cool place to be. Do not let the heat get to you even if your truly are a winter person. I think I am a fall kind of lady…looking forward to harvest season.
 

Stay cool!!!
 
Photos courtesy of Google Images.
1.
Pin It