Monday 2 May 2016

Being Stared At


 
The birds and the bees come out to play and so do the stares from people. I was in the bank today, yes I still go into the bank to do the odd transaction, think of me what you will I like to see a face when I am banking it is more personal. Anyways, I am being stared down by a woman twice my size and about four inches taller than I am. If you do not know me I am not very tall. This was intimidating and all I could do was to think in my head “what do you want?”
 
So I finfish my duties in the bank and leave the woman is at the teller and I still feel her eyes on me. So I turned and in my darkened aviators stared her down as I walked backwards out of the bank’s door. My final coop-de-gras was to salute her and smile, turn and walk to my truck. This entire scene, in my eyes, was completely uncalled for behaviour. Why would this person feel they needed to stare so long I became uncomfortable and then cocky?


I suppose it is human nature and I suppose we all at some time or another do things to make others uncomfortable. I mean I am sure I have had my fair share of foot in mouth disease from time-to-time. But I try to watch what I say and do. Although I have been known to be John Lennon type and dance down the street with my daughters in tow laughing our faces off and creating a scene that way. That is the most awesome thing ever. People have no idea how to react to people having clean, appropriate fun. I can’t wait to do that again with them. I cannot wait to see the reactions.


Dramatic or not behaviour is important and it is something most of us are taught to control. We have laws that govern our behaviour and consequences for breaking those laws and expectations that we follow as well. So why in all do we still stare at others??? Who knows it could be anything from the beautiful to the downright grotesque or even the odd or maimed. We stare for so many reasons to try and understand what we are seeing. I suppose it takes some of us longer to process the beauty or the ugly or the private and personal that we keep looking even to the point of rudeness. And that is the way I felt in the bank today that the woman was being rude. Who really knows as I did not have any desire to start a conversation with her and find out why she was doing what she was doing. This is where I may have become rude and said something I may have regretted. But I also have a big mouth at time and that is why you read this blog because I say things that some of us think and do not want to say.



I remember growing up and being taught not to stare at people and to keep my eyes on my own business. Sometimes I wonder if that message might get misconstrued somehow and instead of the little meaning it may have, about politeness, it gets blown into something big, like turn a blind eye when you witness a crime, do not get involved when you see something that maybe injurious to another or even turn a blind eye when someone may need help such as opening a door, reaching a product on a shelf, or carrying groceries in for an elderly neighbour. So is this a good think or a wrong thing? I am not so very sure in either direction. What I do know is that I was uncomfortable today by being stared at and let her know with my body language on the way out the door. But staring can be okay if it helps someone and you can do something about the situation. If not leave it alone there is probably nothing wrong to begin with.

By the way, I get stared at all the time!!!!! LOL!!!!!
 
Images as always courtesy of Google Images.
1.
Pin It