Friday 3 October 2014

The Fall Season


 
Have you ever noticed how beautiful the fall season is? I know what your thinking “It is the beginning of winter and I hate winter.” Well I am not so fond of the those days between the Christmas holidays and the end of March either. But I am very fond of the fall.  

The fall has so many wonderful aspects about it. First the colours. I could not imagine living in a place where the colours of the leaves do not change. The deciduous trees that change into the bright reds, golden yellows, deep oranges and the soft browns take my breath away every year that I see it. To be surrounded by the beauty is just awe inspiring. At times I wish I was more of a visual artist and could capture these colours on canvas. The camera, although a great tool for this imagery just does not do it justice to my liking. Maybe I need a better camera, but nonetheless, I am in a glory of colour and enjoying every moment.
 
The next best thing is cool crisp air mixed with warm days and cool nights. I love the combination of temperatures over the days of fall. It is something I reminisce about from childhood, those mornings walking to school when the air was chilly and would make your nose cold and the tips of your fingers would chill even through the gloves, and the next thing you know it is recess and you are peeling off the layers because you are too hot with the sun warming everything around you and you. And then into the cool nights where you pull out grandpa’s chucky knit sweater that grandma made and you and your family sit by the fire in the back yard and roast marshmallows and hot dogs and again your nose gets chilly and the tips of your fingers are aware of the chill in the air.
 

But the food…oh…the food. I love fall cooking and eating. Not only do I spend hours at a time in the kitchen preserving and creating all kinds of wonderful canned goods I love the fall veggies and fruits. Fresh apples by the bushel, pears, squash of varieties upon varieties, cauliflower and broccoli and of course the Thanksgiving turkey. One of my two favorite meals of the year that includes a stuffed turkey with all the trimmings including a pumpkin pie with whipped cream. I am making myself hungry… Of course this is all repeated two months later at Christmas and we must have two turkeys every year. It seems to throw me off if I do not get my two turkeys in a year. But the fall food seems to bring in a warmth the no other season can do with the soup stocks brewed and the best ingredients to add how can one go wrong?
 

So go out this weekend and enjoy the fall. Bundle up, drink hot apple cider, go on a wagon ride at a local farm. Buy pumpkins and gourds to decorate your home and enjoy the fall. Embrace it with zing and zeal and a zaniness and always remember when you are out in nature please, please, please take only photos and leave only foot prints.
 

ENJOY!!!
Check out this link it has some information about the area and what to do and where to go including local farm markets.
 
1.
Pin It