Tuesday 11 November 2014

An Officer and a Gentleman


 
I repost this again as we approach Remembrance Day 2015. Please know that our soldiers and military service personnel are people with families who love them. These thoughts and memories I share with you are because of that sacrifice these individuals made to keep our country free. On November 11th stand in silence and please remember and be grateful.

I wrote this piece back in June of 2014 to honour my father at Father’s Day. It seems appropriate today as well that I post it to let you see a little into the life of an Officer and a Gentleman. I love you Daddy. Please remember and may we not forget the sacrifices made for our freedom.

As Father’s day approaches I have been thinking about my Dad. It has been just over thirteen years since he died. And the morning of May 20th 2001 has been etched in my mind and my heart forever.

My father was a tall and dark haired man with a strength and presence about him. His blue eyes often glistened with pride even though he would show very little emotion. Being born in the thirties and raised throughout the war toughens a person especially as a young child. A stiff upper lip was always present. But as a child I could just tell how much he loved his children and family.

I think back on times of fishing and my mother and I out in the boat, the bugs becoming too much and the need for the toilet overwhelming. Dad finally gave in and only to reel in the tiniest perch fish I have ever seen. My mother holding the rod had not even noticed the little fish nibble the hook. I remember Dad’s laughter as she was surprised to see the little thing there. It was almost as if he knew better than we. 

As I grew older and was able to venture out I was taught to ride a bike. With Dad running behind me holding the seat I felt safe and secure. But then he let go and all of a sudden…freedom hit and I knew how to ride and I was gone. I took off around the block and down to a friend’s house, with Dad calling after me to come back. He had neglected to show me how to stop let alone turn around!!!

Now Dad was not all glory and good guy we were disciplined and kept in line by a firm military hand. This did not keep us out of trouble but Dad was the top of the food chain when it came to who ruled and if you were in trouble with Dad you knew it was bad. He had a subtle way of teaching you through well-chosen words that came at you as he sat looking at his paper work, the occasional glimpse over the rim of his glasses gave you the finality of it all. There was nothing left to say.

Rides to lessons, that I took far too many of, and suffering of cold at the skating rink he would endure with pride. Hockey games for my brothers, baseball games at the local parks that gave me time to run and play on the swings as he watched the boys play their games. Dog bites cleaned and dressed with a stern warning to leave the animal alone come back to me with the sound of his voice in my head. The wounded, stray, lost, dying, or just forgotten animals were all welcome around Dad often crowded our house. Cats were often just called “Cat” and dogs, well they were called whatever came to mind sometimes. He tolerated the plague of hamsters, mice, guinea pigs and rabbits that lived with us for most of my pre-teen years. I am not nor have I ever been sure he was comfortable with the rodent population that lived under our roof. It often outnumbered the humans. 

His silly personality shone through with the renditions of old songs he would come up with out of his head. Sometimes with new words created just for the occasion. His knowledge of old movies was like a library of Hollywood and he would often share this by just saying the name of the actor or actress and then silence but you got the point. His favorite movie of all time was Top Gun. As a RCAF pilot retired Dad enjoyed this movie more than any other. When it finally came out on video I am sure we had two or even three copies of it, with reserves just in case one broke or became damaged.

But it is not the memories that has brought me to my computer to write about him and it is not the nearness of Father’s Day. That time can be filled with my husband and our family as we grow together. It is as if it was yesterday that we lost you Daddy and nothing has changed in my heart. I know you would have stayed if you have made the choice yourself, but that was not yours to make. I know you are never far and I often feel your presence, your strength reassuring me. I just want to tell you how much I love you and that I miss you with all of my heart.


1.
Pin It