Wednesday 19 November 2014

Lisa Anne's Thoughts on Canada and Being Canadian




 
 
Today’s commentary has been written from its title. Not often do I title a piece until I have written it and edited for the most part. But that is not so for today. After a dumping of November snow I found myself thinking what it meant to me to be Canadian. What were the things about my country I am proud of and maybe not so proud of…eh??? Or maybe just my thought...
The table on our deck. Photo by Lisa Anne
 
Canadians are a hardy bunch. We endure long cold winters that seem to never end. We do it with style through ice sports like hockey, figure skating, skiing and tobogganing. I have never been much of a hockey fan until the last two winter Olympic games. In Vancouver, Canada showed the world that we are made of the right stuff. Not only did we win both men’s and women’s hockey golds but we also won and broke the record for the most medals won by a host country. I think that is pretty spectacular. And just to be Canadian one step further we go to Sochi and come home with bilateral gold medals again for hockey. I remember watching the women’s game and feeling down right lost as the clock ticked down and the score was for the other team. We tied it up in the last few seconds and then in overtime slammed it home for the win!!! Way to do it ladies!!!
 

But all-in-all we have cornered the market on snow blowers and shovels, snowmobiles, skies, and quite possibly winter outerwear. Most true Canadians have owned or know someone who has or does own a Hudson’s Bay coat. That would include yours truly as an owner, thank you. These garments are the epitome of Canadian outerwear. The coloured stripes on the beige background is very distinctive and the warmth of such a coat is undeniable. Also so is the weight. You need to be in good shape to wear one!!! I remember the deep red, navy, grass green and the bright yellow always holding some position in our family cottage on a cold night. Then as I grew up I found the value of a Bay blanket on my bed at home. To this day in winter I slip under the weight of a six point gift of warmth that I will never surrender.
 

My final thoughts are about winter storms. I remember plenty of them as a child and ones that came with walloping winds, tons of snow and lots of ice. This always made the roads slippery for those who would shag. If you do not know what that is, I will not hold responsibility for telling you and it is not dirty, just dangerous. Almost every car I rode in went sideways along the roads and there was always the slipping backwards down the hills as cars were unable to climb and top small mounts that were heavily topped with snow. The snowmen in the yards were made by every household on the block and the forts to have snowball fights were built to last the season. We still have storms like that. We have just had one that was caused by lake effect snow and possibly another one coming. That will never change in Canada, we are the country that counts on these storms for our survival. These storms replenish our land and cover it with a blanket to allow it to rest for the following spring when it will come alive again. A country of four distinct seasons that do not blend and are their very own in every way. So after all of this my best thought about Canadian snow storms…the invention of the snow day from school!!!
Mystic Beauty of a Storm. Photos by Lisa Anne

Buried. Photo by Lisa Anne
 
I have always been proud to be Canadian. From the poppy I wear lest I forget, to ones I grow in honour of a grandfather. To the places I have seen and the simple saying of “Sorry” I am proud. We are a nation true and strong and we stand together and will not fall. I have pride in the beauty of this country, from the mountains of the west coast to the flats of the prairies, through the mosquitoes of Manitoba and the great lakes of Ontario, the history of Quebec and the rich culture of the east coast (which I am yet to visit) I have pride. We are the true north, strong an free and in that I stand a Canadian.    
My Garden Sink & Potting Bench. Photos by Lisa Anne

The Shed. Photo by Lisa Anne
 
1.
Pin It